U.S. and Canadian citizens traveling by air to and from Panama must:
- Present a valid passport when entering or re-entering the United States. Panamanian law requires that travelers present a passport valid for at least six (6) months.
- Purchase a tourist card at the airport in Panama before clearing customs or contact the issuing airline to purchase $5.00 tourist card prior to boarding plane. Tourist cards are for sale at the airport, however, we recommend making this purchase prior to arrival to minimize time at customs. The tourist card should allow a stay for up to 90 days.
- Present tickets or documents for return or onward travel
- Have sufficient cash (US$500) or a credit card.
- Airport Tax: There is a $40.00 airport tax departing from Panama and it can be paid at the airport. This is paid in cash at the airport leaving Panama.
All selected applicants should review travel information about Panama available from the United States Department of State and the Centers for Disease Control. Please click on the links below for this information.
Department of State Information on Panama
CDC Health Information on Panama
Other recommended and useful information can be found at: